Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:08:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: painfully slow crashdumps

In article <199801061941.OAA17352@hurricane.cs.duke.edu> you wrote:

> However, I know next to nothing about the scsi programming interface.
> I randomly chose N=8 (which yields a crashdump in ~50 seconds, or
> about 2.5MB/sec), but I'm concerned I may run across a hardware
> combination that cannot handle a transaction this large.  Is this a
> valid concern?  How can I determine the maximum transaction a
> controller/disk can handle at runtime?

This information will be available with the CAM SCSI code.  The idea is
to allow peripheral drivers (like the disk driver) to determine the most
efficient I/O size for the device, a size that does not need to be
coalessed before being sent to the device.  In this way, the disk
driver, which has more flexibility in how it writes things, can
be smart about what it does, but for devices like tapes, where you have
to write the whole block in one go, the bus_dma system will take care
of coalessing the data.

It would be nice to make dumps over 16MB work on ISA busmastering controllers
too, so perhaps dump should attempt to "steal" a portion of the bounce
buffer area.  Since interrupts are disabled, held bounce buffer resources
will not be freed, so you'd have to do something to ensure you get the
resources you need.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations