Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:25:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "H. Jared Agnew" <jagnew@e115025.vtacs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: networking w/ms clients help

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, H. Jared Agnew wrote:

>   Small office with less than 20 windows 95 and 98 clients, one windows NT
> server, and one FreeBSD box.  The FreeBSD box has three network interfaces,
> one modem for internet access, one modem for dialin access, and one ethernet
> card to the office LAN.  The FreeBSD box runs NATD and IPFW to allow all
> machines, either dialing in, or on the LAN to access internet.

Sounds good.

>   First I would like the microsoft client machines on the LAN to be able to
> see a microsoft client machine dialed in to the FreeBSD box.  By "see" I mean
> network neighborhood.  Second I would like to run isc's implementation of dhcpd
> on the FreeBSD box, for both clients on the LAN and a client dialed in to the
> FreeBSD box.
>
>   The problem I am running in to, is that I have no idea where to start getting
> clients on the LAN to be able to see a client dialed in to the FreeBSD box
> (network neighborhood wise).

This is hard since the browse bits are sent via NetBIOS broadcast.  Those
broadcasts won't propagate beyond the FreeBSD machine, and may not go over
the dialup link.

My thought on this is to run WINS on either the NT box or the FreeBSD
machine, and point the dialup client at it (it doesn't hurt to point
everyone at it for orthogonality).  Also enable `NetBIOS over TCP' in the
TCP/IP Property sheet on the server and client(s) if you haven't already.
This way, everyone can resolve against IPs, which the FreeBSD machine can
handle, instead of NetBIOS broadcasts.  NetNeighborhood will slurp the
WINS entries and build a browse list from that (I think).

NetBIOS browse lists are usually built by link broadcast packets which
don't propagate beyond the local wire.  If you have multiple networks and
want to use NetBIOS, you have to run WINS.

The more NT-savvy among us are welcome to comment.

Doug White