Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:38:18 +0900 (JST)
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org, nate@root.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [acpi-jp 1940] Re: ACPI errors and then panic

Hi,

> On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Mitsuru IWASAKI wrote:
> > From: Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
> > Subject: ACPI errors and then panic
> > Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 17:14:31 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> > > My laptop appears to work ok without ACPI but of course I don't get
> > > suspend, resume, etc.  I have never been able to get ACPI to work with it,
> > > including with a -current as of 2 hours ago.  If ACPI is enabled, I get a
> > > spew of:
> > >
> > > ACPI-0412 *** Error: NsSearchAndEnter: Bad character in ACPI name
> > >
> > > and then a panic from acpi_attach.
>
> I sent a reply including the requested traces on Oct 25.  Do you need any
> more information?

Please try with new ACPI CA patches at:
http://people.freebsd.org/~iwasaki/acpi/acpica-20021002-20021118-test20021121.diff
Some memory leak releated bugs were fixed, so your problem might be
solved by this hopefully.

> One interesting thing is that the oem sysctl node seems bogus:
>    hint.acpi.0.oem=IBM   ??????
> where the ?'s are invalid characters like the happy face.

I saw similar problem long time ago.  My problem was acpi.ko
is too old and badly matched with kernel.  Please make sure
that your acpi.ko is fresh as well as kernel when you try.

> > BTW, what's model name?  Some ThinkPad's are blacklisted such as
> > IBM 600E.  And may I add your ACPI data to our repo. (in Japan) ?
>
> IBM T23.  Feel free to use the dsdt and/or asl however you wish.

OK, I'll add them to our CVS repo.

Thanks