Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 19:13:29 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem suggestions?

Mike Meyer writes:
> I've just moved to a local with no broadband network support, and find
> myself needing a modem. For now, I've hijacked one of the motherboard
> serial ports and borrowed a modem, but this is temporary. I'd like a
> solution that avoids putting more ISA devices in the system, but it's
> not clear what will - or won't - work with 4.0-RELEASE.
>
> The options seem to be (in order of preference):

None of your preferences included another plain old external modem like
you are apparently using right now. You hijacked a serial port? What's
it being used for otherwise? Ever think of adding another serial port?

Having had modems since 1200 baud full duplex was exotic the most
important thing I've learned is that a modem is a throw-away disposable
sacrificial component. It has no business inside the computer where it
can do damage to other components when (not if, but when) it blows up.

If your serial ports are being used and you have a slot, then add more
serial ports:

sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A
sio2 at port 0x1a8-0x1af irq 10 flags 0x205 on isa0
sio2: type 16550A (multiport master)
sio3 at port 0x1e8-0x1ef flags 0x205 on isa0
sio3: type 16550A (multiport)
sio4 at port 0x2a8-0x2af flags 0x205 on isa0
sio4: type 16550A (multiport)
sio5 at port 0x3e8-0x3ef flags 0x205 on isa0
sio5: type 16550A (multiport)

Notice the last 4 are on a card which is capable of correctly sharing
one IRQ for all of its ports. The card is a long discontinued STB
4-Com. Nothing fancy about it, contains one Startech ST16C554CJ which
I've seen on a number of serial cards including some cheapies from
Jameco.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net