Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:52:35 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
To:        Martin <nakal@web.de>
Cc:        SDH Admin <admin@stardothosting.com>, 'freebsd-stable' <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.1-RC2 Available...

Martin wrote:

> Am Sun, 28 Dec 2008 10:33:25 -0500
> schrieb "SDH Admin" <admin@stardothosting.com>:
>
> > Try burning new cd media and/or try another cd-rom drive if possible,
> > if the acpi/dma doesn't work.
>
> Hi,
>
> I've tried that already with RC1. I've burned it multiple times and
> tried 3 drives. It seems someone removed CD emulation boot from the
> livefs CD. It won't work with older PCs anymore. I'm using 8.0-CURRENT
> now, but I wanted to give you people a notice. Sometimes a live CD is
> useful and perhaps you won't be able to boot it anymore.
>
> I just realized that the CD is not booting on older PCs only, that's
> why noone is really concerned about it here, perhaps thinking that I'm
> not able to burn an ISO or something like that. But I can definitely
> boot 8-CURRENT livefs without problems, so at least it's not a drive
> problem.

Nasty ! Even though some of us on lists might know to guess & avoid
or ask about this, it seems an un-necessary pain as CDROM is only
half full.  I recall people got caught last time FreeBSD CDs didnt
have both boot methods.  Maybe whoever removed the code didnt know
that ?  Hopefully someone could put it back so FreeBSD doesn't look
broken to some machines & people ?

Cheers,
Julian
--