Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:58:05 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with BIND in 4.2-STABLE (resource leak?)

I'm having trouble with BIND in 4.2-STABLE (Jan 18 22:16:33)
I'm running the version of BIND that installs by default (named -v
reports 8.2.3-T6B)

This machine is a firewall/email/web server. The DNS is currently
running as a local cache - although I have a reverse lookup file to
resolve the private IPs on the network.

Here's what's happening.

On startup a listing in "top" shows named using around 5M of memory and
minimal processor usage. Under normal circumstances this doesn't seem to
vary much.

However, occasionally (I have yet to find out what triggers this) named
will go psycho. CPU utilization will max out and the size of the process
will bloat up to 15M. When this happens a "kill -HUP" will bring the CPU
usage back to a sane level, but the program remains bloated to 15M.
All the while, named seems to be answering queries just fine. A slowdown
is noticable when the processor usage is maxed out, however.

Has anyone else seen this, or have I got some unique problem here?

Currently I have a cronjob doing a "killall -HUP named" every 6 hours
which is at least keeping the CPU usage sane, and the machine has enough
RAM that the 15M usage doesn't cripple it in the slightest. This
behavious makes me nervious, however, and I'd like to resolve it as
quickly as possible.

I asked about this on -questions and got no response, so I'm starting to
wonder if nobody else has seen this. Any information, including a "me
too" would be helpful.

If you'd like more data on the hardware type or details of the config,
just ask.

-Bill Moran