Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 17:00:31 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: unit_list routines

> > unit_list just concerns itself with allocating a bunch of int ranges.
> >
> > Do you really think it's appropriate to try to re-use the rman stuff
> > for what I want to do ?
>
> Yes.  By all means, wrap the rman interface with something that makes it
> clearer what you're doing, but if you're managing a finite set of
> resources of some sort, you should avoid reinventing the wheel where
> possible.

The way I see it, I need a wheel.  rman is a chassis that you can
attach a wheel to.

I'd rather have my own private wheel as I don't need the tires,
inner tubes and all the other stuff that comes with rman :)

> (It's not clear yet whether any of the items on your list actually relate
> to tangible performance penalties, about the only good reason to consider
> NIH.)

My real problems are the mutexes (unnecessary contention), the memory
overheads (all this extra zero-filled memory) and the obfuscation.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>