Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2000 00:07:47 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT

Drew Eckhardt wrote:

> In message <5.0.0.25.0.20001221184852.03ceab10@mail.etinc.com>, dennis@etinc.co
> m writes:
> >Yes but most commercial uses take advantage of the binary distribution
> >capability of the BSD license AFTER they've poured their corporate dollars
> >into enhancements. With linux you have to give your work away, making it
> >much less useful.
>
> To be pedantic, you only need to provide source for works derived
> from GPL'd software which in this case means the kernel propper. User
> land applications and device drivers may be shipped in binary-only
> form because they are separate works, even when distributed in
> aggregation with GPL'd software.

That depends on the type of "aggregation".  If you produce a single-purpose
device, like an "internet radio", the entire device has a single purpose,
therefore every part of the device is "derived from" every other part.  That
means, if you use GPL'ed software in such a device, you have to provide
source for every line of code, and perhaps schematics or gerbers for the
circuits and VHDL for your ASICs as well.

Doesn't that just make you want to run out and stuff Linux in your multi-
million development dollar routing switch now?