Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 1995 19:48:37 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
Cc:        karl@bagpuss.demon.co.uk (Karl Strickland), henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random Lockups

>	Well... it was explicitly stated here ( the same thread) by some1
>	from FreeBSD team that 205 _was never intedted to be stable ;(
>	Just a try between 1.5 ( the last most stable version) and 2.1

   I meant in my message that 2.0.5R wasn't being "sold" as a stable release
offering...only that it was (much) better than 2.0R. I did *NOT* mean to imply
that 2.0.5R was *not* stable. In fact, it has been quite stable for most
people. A case-in-point is freefall, which is running escentially a 2.0.5
kernel:

 7:44PM  up 18 days,  6:50, 6 users, load averages: 0.13, 0.21, 0.23

   It has a moderate to heavy load most of time - handling over 100,000
email messages a day as well as handling 6-12 users doing FreeBSD development.

>	I'm wondering how many ppl here run FreeBSD PCs as _servers.
>	Say 3500-3000 accounts in  /etc/passwd , 50-60 of them on-line
>	(average) , everybody has his own WEB page , POP3 and stuff/
>	Average 250-280 processes running in the same  time .
>	5-6 user partitions with QUOTAs . How stable is _this combination ,
>	if any ? IMHO , not very stable ...I run it on different P90 systems
>	- not the same brand - so that's definitely not the problem with
>	particular HW.

   Not a large number of people do this. It is for this very reason that it is
*very* important for people that do have busy machines to provide as much
diagnostic information as possible when there is a failure. The above is the
first time you've mentioned anything at all about how the machine is used.
Other than "different P90 systems", I still don't know anything about what
hardware you are using.
   It seems to me that you are more interested in putting down 2.0.5R than you
are interested in helping to fix whatever problem you are having for 2.1R. If
this is the case, then I think we all have better things to do.

-DG