Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 23:23:00 +0100
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto is trigger-happy

Brian Somers wrote:

> > > Netscape does a DNS lookup the very first chance it gets. This will
> > > cause a dialout, unless you've blocked DNS from activating a callout.
> > >
> > I'm having the same problems.  In fact, even starting the enlightenment config program causes ppp -auto to dial up.  Same thing when sending mail from within mutt.  Even though I have told sendmail to queue messages (sendmail -0 DeliveryMode=d -O HoldExpensive).  Actually what it does is dial up, then stick them in the queue without delivering them. I assume that these are also caused because of DNS lookups.
> >

> > So anyway, I'd really like to be disable DNS lookups from causing ppp -auto to dial. How can I do this? I assume that I want to re-enable DNS in ppp.linkup.
> >
> > Thanks a ton,
> > Tiller
>
> You may want to stick your hostname in /etc/hosts - blocking DNS is
> probably the wrong way to go as it'll make on-demand dialing
> practically useless.
>
> Look into ``ndc'' to find out what's being looked up and put this
> stuff in /etc/hosts if you can :-)
> --
> Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
>       <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour !          <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>

Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not at all familiar with ndc's output so I
guess you are referring to the stuff output by dumpdb - only there's so
much of it. However, I've been running named with the -d1 flag and this
seems to pick up all the requests in named.run.

When Netscape was first installed, it reported that it couldn't find the
host for 'home. netscape.com' (or something like this). I assume
Netscape is configured to 'phone home, if only for the Netscape server
to set a cookie...

I cannot detect any current dns lookups for netscape.com. However, the
following lookups are made when Netscape starts up now (output from
named.run):

news.force9.net
usenet.force9.net
usenet.plus.net.uk
mail.force9.net
relay.force9.net

These are all for Messenger. They are produced as soon as the browser
alone starts up (without even starting Mesenger). Since my ISP provides
server-assigned addresses I am not sure I can put any of this stuff in
/etc/hosts because the IP addresses change with each new connection.

What do you suggest/

many Thanks,

Ric