Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:18:37 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        Adi Pircalabu <apircalabu@bitdefender.com>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linux-flashplugin7 & rtld - RFC

Hello!

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Adi Pircalabu wrote:
>> I can crash or hang native Firefox / Mozilla / Seamonkey &
>> linux-flashplugin7 in less than 3 minutes. I think the commiters are
>> smart enough to NOT give everyone the possibility of doing the same.
>> Unless, of course, you will volunteer to manage the enormous quantity or
>> up-coming bug-reports :)

   Alas, modern WEB sites are often unbrowsable w/o flash plugin. And
combination (native Mozilla / Seamonkey) + linuxpluginwrapper +
linux-flashplugin-7 works for most of such sites I'm visiting (RELENG_6).
If you don't want to use it, just don't install it. Patch in question,

 	http://people.FreeBSD.org/~nork/rtld_dlsym_hack.diff

doesn't crash/hang anything, it just gives the possibility to use this
combination.

> The patch has no impact on the base system, it only allows the flash player
> to be used _from ports_, and the linuxplugin port already has a big caveat
> for version 7 flash player.
>
> A native FreeBSD flash player is not going to happen any time soon, and
> people are already using flash version 8 (for which there's no way to be used
> on FreeBSD).

  That's why I also vote for the commit of this trivial patch.

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua