Date:      Sun, 08 Feb 2015 16:56:49 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        mike@karels.net, Eric Joyner <erj@erj.cc>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@me.com>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, John Baldwin <john@baldwin.cx>, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Adding new media types to if_media.h

On 2/8/15 2:41 PM, Mike Karels wrote:

> To solve the second problem, I think the right approach would be to reduce
> this interface to a truly generic one, such as media type (e.g. Ethernet),
> generic flags, and perhaps generic status.  Then there should be a separate
> media-specific interface for each type, such as Ethernet and 802.11.  To a
> small extent, we already have that.  Solving the second, more general problem,
> requires a whole new driver KPI that will require surgery to every driver,
> which is not an exercise that I would consider.
>

> I am willing to do a prototype for -current for evaluation.
>
> Comments, alternatives, ?
Mike,

I think we have enough people to chip in that your concern about
breaking the KPI is not as bad as you think.

Would like to hear the first correct + long term + less hackish proposal
first.

Norse has a kernel team that is heavily invested in networking that can
help with the transition.

If done right, likely renaming ALL of the macros it will be quite
trivial to catch all bad cases and move us forward in one great leap.

-Alfred