Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 02:25:09 +0200
From:      Daniel Rock <rock@cs.uni-sb.de>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

Tom schrieb:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > how about a defualt option in GENERIC for the long delay that people can
> > tweak if they so desire?
>
>   Uhh... you can do that already!  Just remove the devices that you don't
> have from GENERIC so there is no delay!

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
vector wdintr
options         ATAPI
options         ATAPI_STATIC
device          wcd0

I have an IDE disk on the 1st IDE controller and a CD-ROM drive on the 2nd.
Both are configured for master/single device.
Still the probe on the 2nd IDE controller takes unusual long (10-15 seconds).
The probe time on the 1st controller is OK.
Where is the device I don't have in the above configuration?

Daniel