Date:      12 Nov 2002 17:44:48 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        Jeffrey Lyon <jlyon@lotuscom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 4.6-RELEASE to 4.7-STABLE

Jeffrey Lyon <jlyon@lotuscom.net> writes:

> While trying to upgrade from 4.6-RELEASE to 4.7-STABLE I get the following
> error (during make world):
>
> ===> etc/sendmail
> rm -f freebsd.cf
> (cd /usr/src/etc/sendmail &&
>  m4 -D_CF_DIR_=/usr/src/etc/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/cf/
> /usr/src/etc/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 freebsd.mc) >
> freebsd.cf
> chmod 444 freebsd.cf
> make: no target to make.
> "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 140: warning: "make -f /dev/null -m
> /usr/src/share/mk  CPUTYPE=dummy -V CPUTYPE" returned non-zero status
> Checking to see if your booted kernel is fresh enough..
> /usr/obj/usr/src/bin/sh/sh -c  'echo "Testing installed kernel for new
> sigaction(2) syscall"'
> Bad system call - core dumped
> *** Error code 140

Looks like a mismatch between the system and the sources being
handled.  That shouldn't be a problem for buildworld, though:
what command were you executing, exactly?

> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> Here is my current uname: 4.6.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE-p2 #0
>
> and my supfile:
>
> *default tag=RELENG_4_7
> *default host=cvsup16.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default base=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=.

earlier, you said tag=RELENG_4_7, now you're saying tag=.
So I think you ended up downloading -CURRENT sources,
not at all what you wanted.

> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>
> src-all
>
> My intent was to go:
>
> make buildworld
> make installworld
> /usr/sbin/config KERNEL
> cd ../../compile/KERNEL
> make depend
> make
> make install
> reboot
>
> Am I going about this in the wrong way? Any guidance?

Well, the recommended upgrade procedure would be to use buildkernel
and installkernel, then reboot under the new kernel before doing the
installworld.  Plus running mergemaster.

Good luck.