Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2012 00:19:54 +0400
From:      Snow Mountains <snow.mountains.4@gmail.com>
To:        "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on SSD on ASUS P5KPL-C

2012/11/17 illoai@gmail.com <illoai@gmail.com>:
> On 17 November 2012 12:26, Snow Mountains <snow.mountains.4@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * How will FreeBSD 9 behave in such situations? Any special tweaking needed?
>
> I wouldn't expect any special behaviour, though you need to take care
> with block alignment.  Perhaps in the future FreeBSD will have a
> blocksize/erase-blocksize aware formatting & partitioning tool(s),
> but at the moment, you need to make sure those are correctly
> aligned if you want good performance from 4k blocksize drives
> (& SSDs will probably still need to be aligned to whatever the
> erase block size is).

illoai, thank you for the answer! I'll certainly go with SSD in that case.

Could you recommend a reliable document on how to do a correct block
alignment for new FreeBSD 9 install? FreeBSD Handbook doesn't mention
this at all, although I can find a lot of (not quite consistent)
advises on the net on how to do it with gpart/newfs.

Sergi