Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 17:26:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Hawkins <peter@clari.net.au>
To:        smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freebsd javac

Hi,
I'm having problems jetting javac to run.

in    /usr/local/share/java
I have COPYRIGHT and classes.zip and lib

/usr/local/bin/javac
is:

#!/bin/sh
export CLASSPATH=/usr/local/share/java/classes.zip
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/share/java/
exec /usr/local/lib/netscape/netscape.bin -java sun.tools.javac.Main $*

any attempt to run javac (which is running netscape 3.01 gold) results in:

Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread

Not surprisingly I can eliminate this error if I cd into /usr/local/share/java
and unzip classes.zip then run javac (it then finds java/lang/Thread.class)
*but* then if I place a   t.java file (simple hello world program) in
/usr/local/share/java/
then do a javac t.java in that directory, netscape runs and there is no output
(even with -verbose) until I typed ^C after 6 1/2 minutes. a top indicates
that netscape is using 95% of a P133 with 32MB so it should have done
*something*.

I can't think what more to try (even running netscape.bin from the
commandline with a -classpath /usr/local/share/java didn't help!

Any thoughts?
Peter