Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:12:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <billy@idiom.com>
To:        Atle Veka <atlev@mail.flyingcroc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with automated install (Missing operating system)

Some harddrives don't let you access the disk directly.  I've encountered
this with some Seagate drives.

What happens is the install queries for hard drive geometry to figure out
where to put the boot blocks (boot0, boot1, loader).  Since the drive has
this weird thing on it it gives back bogus geometry values so the boot
blocks end up being written to the wrong sectors.  The standard freebsd
install (sysinstall) actually detects this, but disklabel and fdisk don't,
or at least not regularly or reliably.  When sysinstall detects the bogus
geometry it installs what it thinks is the correct geomtery which for me
has always worked.

If you do a standard FreeBSD install at some point you will usually get a
pop up letting you know that it got a bogus geometry.

The work around is to preinstall the disk once with sysinstall and then
ignore the part in the future where you are supposed to write the boot
blocks.

I havn't figured out how to detect the bogus geometry or what to use in
place, however it hasn't been that important for me.

ps.  this is just my experience, I am by no means certain that is actually
what happens, but that is what seems to be happeneing.

-billy