Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 23:22:19 +0300
From:      Petri Riihikallio <Petri.Riihikallio@Metis.fi>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/urandom is randomly cool

>Use vmstat -i to get a list of interrupt sources on your system and
>use rndcontrol to add them to the entropy engine.

This is very interesting. I have just guessed my entropy interrupts.
Thanks for the tip!

># vmstat -i
>interrupt                   total       rate
>ata0 irq14                3240348         10
>ata1 irq15                      4          0
>mux irq11                 1342389          4
>pcm0 irq10                   3401          0
>fdc0 irq6                       2          0
>atkbd0 irq1                 58469          0
>psm0 irq12                 872780          2
>sio0 irq4                  441098          1
>clk irq0                 31225225         99
>rtc irq8                 39970907        128
>Total                    77154623        247

... but what does the 'mux' stand for? My laptop shows it, too. From
the context I guess it is network activity, but there is no such
device or kernel option. The NICs don't show up as themselves. man
vmstat didn't tell.
--
Cheers,
Petri