Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:27:33 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New computer....help wanted :-S

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 07:36 am, db wrote:
> Hi
>
> Got my new computer with an Intel 915g MB and an Intel 3.0GHZ CPU. FreeBSD
> can't find the onboard NIC, but nevermind I got a Rubytech gigabit NIC.
> Sadly though, it can't find that either, so I tried my old 10/100 realtek
> card, but it can't use it. So I have 3 NIC's in the computer, but 0
> working. When I in BIOS set the OS PnP to yes, I get:

Set it to no.  FreeBSD 5 only sort of works with it set to yes.

> pcib5 <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 30.0 on pci0
> pcib5 device re0 requested unsupported I/O range 0x0-0x0 (decoding
> 0x9000-0xafff) re0: couldn't map ports/memory
> This is my gigabit card and it says the same about my rl0 (realtek).
>
> When I set OS PnP to no, I get:
> rl0: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0xa400-0xa4ff mem
> 0xcffff800-0xffff8ff irq 22 at device 10.0 on pci1 rl0: reset never
> completed!
> rl0: Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> rl0: unknown device ID: ffff
> device_probe_and_attach: rl0 attach returned 6
> It doesn't say anything about re0.

Well, FreeBSD is still not able to talk to the card ok.  Not sure why, but PCI
express changes several things including how one talks to PCI cards, so the
fact that it is a PCI express chipset may break things enough for it not to
work right now.