Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 19:48:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world probs: Source file corrupted?

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 1997 at 07:56:19AM -0400, Greg Pavelcak wrote:
> > I have been trying to make world from current sources cvsup-ed
> > yesterday (Wed 9/17), but I haven't gotten very far. Here's a typical
> > message right before stopping:
> >
> > /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/../../../contrib/gcc/cplus-dem.c: In function
> > 'do type' parse error before character 0177
>
> Character 0177 is a DEL character.  That shouldn't be in a source
> file.
>
> > When I check the line numbers associated with these I see thing like
> > "string^?append" rather than "string_append".
>
> Yup, that's how a DEL character gets represented.
>
> > I don't know anything about C. Is this right? If not, how do you
> > think those things get there and how can I change "^?" to "_"
> > globally. The "^?" appears to be a real control character, that is
> > it is a single character not "^" and "?".
>
> Your assumption that the source file is corrupted is correct.  You may
> be able to fix things as you suggest--it's certainly worth a try.
> Probably, though, you'll need to get a new copy of the file.
>
> Greg

This was a really bizarre problem with my machine. I went into that
file and tried to replace the  deletes using vi

g/^?/s//_/g (I got the ctrl-delete combination to produce this)

Immediately after, just because I'm paranoid, I searched for the
pattern and got "Pattern not Found". A few seconds later, I would hear
some disk activity, search for the pattern again and have 5 or six
"^?"s in the file. I don't know if I'm having hardware problems or
what. I'm trying with different memory now and still posting my
problems for you helpful people to see.

Thanks.

Greg