Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 1995 17:01:36 +0100
From:      Julian H Stacey <Julian.H.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Testers needed - sys/Makefile that supports CD-ROM and NFS multi hosts

I have revised my /sys/Makefile, & am looking for alpha testers

So .. big deal .. tiddly little make file Eh ? .... We...ll not exactly
 19377 Mar 13 18:24 Makefile    (Yup, considerable comment in, as still in test)
  2052 Mar 13 14:50 Makefile_sub.c
Plus I have associated diffs to apply to Makefile.i386 etc ...

Why did I bother & Why should you ? ...
# FEATURES:
#       - Kernel configuration & make, defaulting to a kernel config name
#         automatically selected on a host name basis; (also does subdir make).
#       - Supports optional obj tree.
#       - Supports compilation from cd-rom.
#       - Supports NFS multiple host parallel simultaneous use of
#         shared /usr/src.
#       - Config automatically called if configuration name changes.
#       - Depend done automatically.
#       - Overide of default config name by either "make CONFIG=whatever"
#         or by editing default file.
#       - Config Selection precedence order & examples:
#               PRIORITY        METHOD
#               High:           make CONFIG=GENERICAH
#               Medium:         echo "GENERICAH" > ${DEFAULT_CONFIG}
#               Low:            Makefile internally does CONFIG=`hostname`

BTW, it's taken a hell of a long time to get it this far, so I'm in bug fix
mode now, till it's commited, so wo'nt welcome suggestions changing priority
order (it ain't easy ;-), after it's proven bug free & commited, it becomes
subject to the normal `whoever is prepared to hack it And test it' change
procedure (testing all cases is the hard part)

Volunteer Testers Requested :-)                 (Piero &/or Rod perhaps ?)

---
Julian Stacey   <jhs@freebsd.org>,<jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
                ( <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de> is a dial up )