Date:      Mon, 09 Jan 2012 03:46:07 +0100
From:      Freek Dijkstra <public@macfreek.nl>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS fails with bsdinstaller 9.0RC3

Garrett Cooper wrote:

>> I just tried to install FreeBSD 9.0RC3 with a ZFS-only file system. I
>> succeeded by doing a manual install. The bsdinstaller failed: it would
>> write not write the new filesystem to /mnt as expected (I presume it has
>> overwritten the memstick filesystem at /). I'm relative new to FreeBSD,
>> so I'm trying to understand what I did wrong, or if this is quirk in the
>> bsdinstaller (unlikely).
>     Uh, memory serves me correctly, you were in the zfs root...

/me slaps head. I just never thought of that possibility....

Thanks for your insight!

(off-topic)
Could I have exited the /mnt jail with exit?

I needed to run
 # zfs set mountpoint=/ zroot
but got
 internal error: failed to initialize ZFS library
which indeed is what happens in a chrooted jail.

Would there have been another way for me to run the zfs?

Regards,
Freek

PS: sorry for the delayed "thank you". I was mostly away from my
keyboard this weekend.