Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:25:38 -0500
From:      Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   changing prompt for user in jail

When I change the prompt for root's .cshrc file in the jail
it works as expected.

  if ($?prompt) then
  	# An interactive shell -- set some stuff up
  	set prompt = "# %/ >"
  	set filec
  	set history = 100
  	set savehist = 100
  	set mail = (/var/mail/$USER)
  	if ( $?tcsh ) then
  		bindkey "^W" backward-delete-word
  		bindkey -k up history-search-backward
  		bindkey -k down history-search-forward
  	endif
  endif

But when I start the jail and login to the jails host console
and issue "pw adduser test -c jail-user -m -g wheel -w yes"
the user does get created ok.

Now when I login to the jail over remote ssh to the just created user
account I get the % prompt, then su to root and get the
set prompt = "# %/ >".
I want that same prompt for all user I create in the jail.
I tried putting the set prompt = "# %/ >" statement in the jail user
account /home/test/.cshrc file log out and back in to no effect.

Them I put the set prompt = "# %/ >" statement in the jail's
/usr/share/skel/.cshrc and created a different user account
using the same pw command, still no joy.

Then I just added the  set prompt = "# %/ >" statement in the jail's
/etc/csh.cshrc and created new jail user account and still no joy.

I even tried putting the set prompt = "# %/ >" statement as the last
line in the files so it was out side of any if statements with no joy.

No matter what I do to the config of the jail files it makes no
difference when I use ssh to login to the jail user account.

Anyone have any idea what I any doing wrong?

Or is this just now jails work?

Thanks