Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 02:22:36 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   do not try the tcl-7.4 port!

I made a giraffe in the shlib implementation of the tcl-7.4 port.
Specifically, if you have a application that requires tcl-7.3, it will
no longer run due to the incompatibility problems.  I first thought
the shlib version number should have been 8.0, not 7.4.

Unfortunately, that still won't solve the problem.  We won't be able
to compile any application that uses tcl-7.3/tk-3.6, because -ltcl or
-ltk will now pick up the new ones.  Argh. :<

Here's the current setup:

libtcl.so.7.3 = tcl-7.3
libtk.so.3.6 = tk-3.6

to which I added

libtcl.so.7.4 = tcl-7.4
libtk.so.4.0 = tk-4.0

and two symlinks

libtcl7.4.so.7.4 -> libtcl.so.7.4
libtk4.0.so.4.0 -> libtk.so.4.0

(note these two symlinks are completely bogus, ldconfig can't handle
 these dots in the library names :<)

I added these symlinks because the static libraries were called
libtcl7.4.a and libtk4.0.a, and I thought applications that require
these would have -ltcl7.4 and -ltk4.0 in them.  But since these don't
work anyway, I'm going to get rid of them.

So here's the proposal.

libtcl74.so.1.0 = tcl-7.4
libtk40.so.1.0 = tk-4.0

and no symlinks.  This way, we should be able to compile new
applications by simply changing -ltcl7.4 to -ltcl74 and -ltk4.0 to
-ltk40.

Comments?  Am I completely out of sync?

Satoshi