Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:53:20 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wi and promiscuous mode

Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu> probably said:
> Try tcpdump -p ... meaning don't do promiscous mode.
> There isn't any reason to believe that in BSS mode, prom. mode
> will help much.

Well, this doesn't solve the problem that was introduced since
decemberish, though (since in early december I was sniffing passwords
on the wireless net at LISA with dsniff and writing them up on a
board).

> Unless I am incredibly wrong (and if I am, please bash me, because

You're wrong.

> someday I want to actually understand the technical ramifications of
> BSS mode), you can't see 3rd party wireless traffic anyway by
> definition.  In BSS mode, I think all you can see is your traffic, the
> AP's traffic, and broadcast (or multicast) leaks from the ethernet
> side (and maybe the occasional unicast leak from the ethernet side too?).

In BSS mode you can see all traffic going to and from the access point
you are talking to, if you are in range of the transmitter (be it the
other client or the base station).

> 2. please if you post a problem like this,  state whether you
> are in ad hoc mode or BSS mode.

BSS.

P.

--