Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:57:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which SUP files are available and where ?

> >> As for the long term support, I think we should consider CTM as the
> >> distribution mechanism rather than sup.
>
> >For those who have a high-speed net connection, CTM is a lose.  It's
>
> This assumes an infinitely high-speed server or a small number of
> clients.

You run out of ethernet before you run out of CPU power on anything
faster than a DX4/100 with 32MB of memory doing sup services.  A
Pentium 100 can keep a 100Mb/s pipe clear full of sup with 64Mb of
memory.  I would call that very very far from ``infinitely high-speed''
and actually falls into the mid-range systems for me.

> >too easy to get your source tree into a state where CTM decides that
> >it can't do anything, and then you have to do manual repair, whereas
> >with SUP you can just blow away the breakage and automatically get
> >fresh copies with little or no human intervention.
>
> Use restore(8) to recover a consistent state.

And now folks know why /usr/src is always a seperate partition on my
systems, and on almost everything I sell :-).    I do use restore
a lot around here, infact installs are actuall ``restores'' of my
last known good stable build :-)