Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:07:07 +0100
From:      mavilde <mavilde@cmn.comnexo.pt>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'wollman@FreeBSD.ORG'" <wollman@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problem with the crypt function

Hello,
i'm having a little problem with crypt. I'm using the 2.2.6 FreeBSD
version and i'm trying to install a pop server, what happens is that it
uses crypt to scramble the password and compare it. I've done almost
everything and nothing works, i always have the folowing error:

"cc -o pop3d pop3d.o mailbox.o version.o
pop3d.o: Undefined symbol `_crypt' referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

Stop."

In all the files i have included th unistd.h (#inculde <unistd.h>).
Reading the handbook i saw that i'm using DES to create the passwords,
so my /usr/lib is like this

bash# ls -la /usr/lib/libcrypt*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  bin  13 May 27 19:21 /usr/lib/libcrypt.a ->
libdescrypt.a
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  bin  18 May 27 19:21 /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2.0 ->
libdescrypt.so.2.0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  bin  15 May 27 19:21 /usr/lib/libcrypt_p.a ->
libdescrypt_p.a

i really need this pop server to work, do you know where this error come
from and how can i solve it? i tried another pop servers wich have the
same error if they use the crypt function.
If you could help me please, i would really apreciate it!!!
Thanks in advance.

Mavilde dos Anjos  (mavilde@comnexo.pt)
Comnexo, S.A.
Av. da Républica, 24 - 5º