Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:09:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with user level ppp, using multilink functionality

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Brian Somers wrote:

> > > Does *ANYONE* know anybody that could push some buttons in this area
> > > and either get deflate/predictor supported on some server hardware or
> > > else get Microsoft/Stac to allow me to emulate their compression
> > > algorithms ?  It would make a huge difference !

> Up 'till now, it didn't really bother me 'cos I had a modem that did
> hardware compression.  Now I have an ISDN line and nothing compresses
> anything - I've got a vested interest.

After seeing transfer rates of 65kbytes/sec over 2 x 33.6k modems using
deflate/predictor1 compression I'm also hanging out for compression that's
compatible with a typical proprietary router such as a Cisco.

Admittedly it was a highly compressible text file, but I'm sure there is
still some benefit to be had in general use. My upstream provider doesn't
even do _VJ_!! (I think this is more a policy decision though...)

I also have a direct peering link with another ISP, FreeBSD at my end,
Cisco his end. In this case there's no policy problem, just "compression
incompatibility" - VJ is the best we've been able to acheive.

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/
Sensation Internet Services                    http://www.sensation.net.au/