Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 21:37:35 -0700
From:      Steve Caine <shc@cfg.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   2940 Can't Find Disks After Rebooting

I've just installed a copy of 2.2.1-Release which runs fine.  However, I
can't reboot it without first turning power off & back on.  System:

  166 MHZ Pentium
  Award Bios V4.51P6 with V1.0A Plug & Play Extensions
  Adaptec 2940A Ultra SCSI (AHA-2940AU Bios V1.21)
    Two Quantum Fireball 2.02 GB disks
  Toshiba ATAPI CDROM (I know; I ordered a SCSI CDROM but this is
	what came)

When booting after power-on, the Adaptec finds the 2 disks, the boot
manager runs & starts the FreeBSD boot, FreeBSD comes up & all is well.

On the next boot attempt, however, the Adaptec gives the "Press ^A to
run utilities" message, waits for about 60 seconds, and says "Timeout
failure during SCSI Inquiry Command" -- it doesn't find either of the
disks.

If I turn power off & back on, the Adaptec finds the disks & the whole
boot is successful.

I've installed other FreeBSD's (2.1.5-R's) on machines with Ami Bios with no trouble, so I suspect either I've got the Adaptec misconfigured or there
is a problem with the Award Bios & the FreeBSD drivers.

I've searched the mailing list archives but don't see anything applicable.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, pointers, etc.

Steve.