Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:18:19 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Royce Williams <royce.williams@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -> portmaster Rosetta Stone?

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Royce Williams
<royce.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that the portupgrade port got returned to ports@ with this note=
:

> ports-mgmt/portupgrade
> =A0- =A0Reassign to ports@
> =A0 =A0 please consider using ports-mgmt/portmaster
>
> =A0Discussed with: bugmeister(eadler, linimon), ruby(swills, pgollucci) v=
ia
> =A0#bsdports
> =A022 Feb 2012 - pgollucci
> =A0http://www.freshports.org/ports-mgmt/portupgrade/
>

> To ease the transition, does anyone know of a Rosetta Stone table, or
> "portmaster for native speakers of portupgrade"?

Many things are just the same, but thee are a few 'gotcha's to be aware of.
1. There is no 'force' option for portmaster. You tell it to
re-install a port and it does so.
2. If a directory is not specified (e.g. graphics/Imagemagick), the
arguments are globs so that 'portmaster mplayer' will also run on
mplayer-skins or any other installed port starting with mplayer. (I
find this annoying, but Doug said that he got lots of requests for
this behavior.)
3. portmaster ALWAYS behaves like -R was specified. The -R option in
portmaster is very useful in some cases, but it is completely
different from portupgrade. It is for Restart and is useful when
updating lots of ports at once.
4. By default, portmaster will ask if you want ot delete the old
distfile after installing an upgrade that uses a newer distfile. -D
prevents this so you can run as close to non-stop as is possible. If
you use -D, you may want to run 'portmaster --clean-distfiles' when
you are all done. (portupgrade never attempts to clean up old
distfiles and expects you to run portsclean for this.)

Read the man page! Really! portmaster(8) has examples that will
greatly simplify big jobs like completely reinstalling your ports and
will clarify some of portmaster's behavior.

I find portmaster vastly superior to portupgrade and highly
recommended it before portupgrade was deprecated, though it did take a
little getting used to, often because some things were so close to the
same as portupgrade.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com