Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:16:43 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: irc/xchat: limit icon blinking time

On 06/22/2012 10:46, Eitan Adler wrote:

> As a general rule ports should not maintain or develop software. If
> you would like to continue development we need to become the
> _upstream_ developer and maintain a fork or patchset from which you
> roll releases (and provide the appropriate support). FreeBSD is not in
> a position to review code to upstream projects.

I'm not sure where you got that idea. Historically it's been pretty
common for there to be a version of something in ports where upstream
development has stalled (or outright died), but an active maintainer
keeps the thing alive with patches. Requiring a maintainer to do what
you're suggesting seems a very high, and altogether unnecessary burden.

Doug