Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 21:48:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        jc@irbs.com, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Slice errors

> >> The data for partition 0 is:
> >> <UNUSED>
> >> The data for partition 1 is:
> >> <UNUSED>
> >> The data for partition 2 is:
> >> <UNUSED>
> >> The data for partition 3 is:
> >> sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
> >>     start 0, size 50000 (24 Meg), flag 80
> >> 	beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 0;
> >> 	end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 255
>
> >Use fdisk -u to correct the partition table so that size==size of
> >your BSD c or d partition and things should be fine.  What you see
> >above is the bogus partition table that gets installed if you install
> >new boot blocks.
>
> This advice no longer applies.  The bogus partition table is specially
> handled to make it work.  Changing it risks introducing bugs and
> changes will be blown away by new boot blocks.

That advise got the chap up and running from private email I got
back from him.   And he now has given me a patch for fdisk that
fixes some real stupid errors (writting 0 as a value for beginning
sector if you let it calculate the beg/end C/H/S addresses).

I am using that advice here on all my machines and it is much happier
about this than allowing the bogus 500000 block boot stuff live!!!