Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 10:17:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFR: Generalized power-management interface

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Mitsuru IWASAKI wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > If we're going to talk about 'health' for a machine and it's components, it
> > should tie in with the SES/SAF-TE driver (for SCSI/FibreChannel).
>
> Yes, but my understanding on SES/SAF-TE is very poor unfortunately :-)
> I think number of hackers who can cover all areas with enough knowledge and
> experience is quite limited, so I prefer dividing it into sub-areas sharing
> upper level framework to make things simple.
> Any volunteers for the design?  something like;

SAF-TE is nearly a proper subset of SES, and SES covers lots of things
(not just environmental)

health ----+---- power ----+---- apm
           |               |
           |               +---- acpi
           |               +---- SES/SAF-TE

           +---- thermal --+---- acpi
           |               +---- SES/SAF-TE
           +---- object* --+---- SES/SAF-TE

* An 'object' can be marked as having a fault condition
An object might be a disk drive tray....