Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:53:43 +0100
From:      "Willem Jan Withagen" <wjw@withagen.nl>
To:        "Erich Dollansky" <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System advice requested

From: "Erich Dollansky" <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>

> > I knew about the SATA stuff from current@, but I would expect that
> > carefull choices can prevent some of the major pittfalls.
> > I'll have a go at the archive.
> >
> If you are already at burning money, take SCSI. Those boards are
> available with two SCSI U320 channels. It also gives you a real
> speed gain. I have a dual Athlon box. It has had for a while an
> additional IDE drive. It is real slow compared to SCSI and give a
> pretty high CPU load compared to SCSI.

Though I have cash to spare, building a 1T array with SCSI would make
it rather big and expensive. Since SCSI only goes to 144G. So I'd end
up with 8 disks at least. Then I'd put in on a RAID controller and fiber.
But that is way too professional. I'd do that for data-centres etc...
SCSI disk have a better MBTF, but MBTF/$$ is something different.

No, I'm more looking at 5*ATA 250 Gb at RAID-5, with a few spare disks
on the shelf get a good ventilated case. it would be just manageble.

--WjW