Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:59:21 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        Brandon Falk <bfalk_bsd@brandonfa.lk>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Boot Times

On Jun 11, 2012, at 6:21 PM, Brandon Falk <bfalk_bsd@brandonfa.lk> wrote:

> Greetings,
>=20
> I was just wondering what it is that FreeBSD does that makes it take so lo=
ng to boot. Booting into Ubuntu minimal or my own custom Linux distro, liter=
ally takes 0.5-2 seconds to boot up to shell, where FreeBSD takes about 10-2=
0 seconds. I'm not sure if anything could be parallelized in the boot proces=
s, but Linux somehow manages to do it. The Ubuntu install I do pretty much c=
onsists of a shell and developers tools, but it still has a generic kernel. T=
here must be some sort of polling done in the FreeBSD boot process that coul=
d be parallelized or eliminated.
>=20
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>=20
> Note: This isn't really an issue, moreso a curiosity.
>=20
> -Brandon

In amd64 builds the system checks it's ram twice . Early in the boot phase u=
sing a slower method , and latter using a faster SMAP method. In 9.0-RELEASE=
 you can disable the early men check via a loader tunable ,  here is a snip i=
t from the release notes on 9.0 . It should also be mfc'd to 7, and 8 stable=
.=20

[amd64, i386, pc98] A loader(8) tunable hw.memtest.tests has been added. Thi=
s controls whether to perform memory testing at boot time or not. The defaul=
t value is 1 (perform a memory test).[r224516]

The next it is switch to a modular kernel  this speeds up boot times be omit=
ting kernel items you do not need, you can also do this via with a static ke=
rnel by removing / disabling unused options . Look at the Archives for ha ha=
ckers there is a ton of info on this.=20

Most of the rest of the boot up time is  via init / rc'ng starting an config=
uring things . Right now this is not parallel-ized out the box . Pc-bsd has s=
omething called fastboot ? I am am not sure how it works but it improves loa=
d time in their setups . See http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/2012-J=
anuary/006358.html

Other then that, there  are some other things being developed check the Free=
BSD wiki for a rc.ng management daemon frs or fsr ?=20

---

Mark saad | mark.saad@longcount.org