Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 05:26:23 -0500
From:      Mark Hounschell <dmarkh@cfl.rr.com>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Another 2930U problem

I think I'm having a problem that is similar to Bob Tracy's but our
config
is totally different. I have 2 machines, one at home and one at work
that
are basically identical except the one at work has more scsi disks. My
problem is kind of intermitant. Some times it boots up no problem and
sometimes it doesn't. The one consistant thing about it is if I take
the Exabyte 8500c tape drive and the Yamaha 8424 off the scsi bus the
problem NEVER shows up.

The problem is after the download of the sequencer code it gives the
following message and just keeps repeating it never continueing on.
The first example here is the most common thing that happens.

(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7860 Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 0/10/0
(scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 3/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 422 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AIC-7860 Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
scsi0:0:0:0 Syncronous at 10 mb/sec
scsi: aborting command due to timeout pid:0, scsi 0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0, test unit ready 00 00 00 00.
sscsi0:0:0:0 Syncronous at 10 mb/sec
scsi: aborting command due to timeout pid:0, scsi 0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0, test unit ready 00 00 00 00.
scsi0:0:0:0 Syncronous at 10 mb/sec
scsi: aborting command due to timeout pid:0, scsi 0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0, test unit ready 00 00 00 00.
csi0:0:0:0 Syncronous at 10 mb/sec
scsi: aborting command due to timeout pid:0, scsi 0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0, test unit ready 00 00 00 00.
.
.
.
.
.
 Some times it will do the following also but as you can see is has some
kind of problem at first then it gets ok and continues to boot up.

(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7860 Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 0/10/0
(scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 3/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 422 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AIC-7860 Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0 In
quiry 00 00 00 ff 00
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 1) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST15150N          Rev: 5055
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
(scsi0:0:1:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST32151N          Rev: 0530
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
(scsi0:0:2:0) Synchronous at 20.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW8424S          Rev: 1.0f
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
(scsi0:0:3:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST15150N          Rev: 5055
Detected scsi disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
(scsi0:0:4:0) Synchronous at 5.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: SyQuest   Model: EZ135S            Rev: 1-17
Detected scsi removable disk sdd at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
(scsi0:0:5:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST15150N          Rev: 5055
Detected scsi disk sde at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
scsi : detected 6 SCSI generics 1 SCSI cdrom 5 SCSI disks total.

Again I have 2 machines bothe doing the same thing. And if the
Exabyte tape drive and the Yamaha 8424 cdrw is taken off the bus
it NEVER will do this. Also recycling power seems to give it a better
chance to boot up. Once booted up ALL devices work flawlessly. It's
just this part of the boot sequence that has a problem. This is not
a hardware/scsi-bus problem. Like I said ONCE BOOTED UP ALL works great
and I have 2 machines doing the exact same thing. Probably 50% of my
boots end up in that first error I described. This looks and smells
similar to Bob Tracy's problem and definatly like a driver problem to me
but maybe someone out there has a similar config (Exabyte tape/ Yamaha
CDRW) that has all this working. I sure would like to know...

Here are my machines configurations:

Micro-Star MS-6167 Slot-a MB, 600 athlon, 256mb ram, Adaptec 2930u scsi,
3com 3c905c ethernet, Diamond 770 ultra video, SB live sound card, 14gb
IBM disk (IDE/boot), plus the scsi devices that are shown above. These
messages above are from the machine at work. The one at home only has
1 4gb CDC barracuda (id=0), Yamaha 8424 CDRW (id=2), and Exabyte 8500
(id=6).

I have updated my aic7xxx driver via the patches on Dougs site
successfully. (With the help of this list. Thanks by the way)
I have also played around with scsi bios setting and kernel params
to no avail..

HEP-ME....
--
Mark Hounschell