Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 14:28:10 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   split(1)ing up the ISO images

I hope I'm not rehashing an old question here, but would it be possible to
split up the gzip'd ISO image of 3.3-RELEASE (and others?) into smaller
pieces?  I had a friend with a cable modem download it for me but for some
reason the .gz has a CRC error.

Say..

split -b16m 3.3-install.cd0.gz 3.3-install.cd0.gz.
md5 * > CHECKSUM.MD5

I'm not asking for my own personal benefit, but rather becauase I suspect
I'm not the only one this happens to.  If I could run the same split
command on my own .gz and compare MD5 results I could re-download only the
affected portions over my pokey 24kbps connection.  As far as my limited
vision can see, the only downside of doing this is eating up another 650MB
of drive space on ftp.freebsd.org and (optionally) it's mirrors.

FWIW I decompressed the .gz, CRC error and all, and mounted it as a vnode.
Going through the directory tree, I've only found one file so far that
seems corrupt (some wmicons package IIRC).  Had I downloaded the
non-gzipped version I probably wouldn't have noticed the problem.

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com