Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:45:14 +0200
From:      Samuel Tardieu <sam@inf.enst.fr>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Toshiba Portege 4010 - battery level & screen brightness

The Toshiba Port=E9g=E9 4010 (as well as the 4000) has a very strange
behaviour when the battery level drops below 50%: the screen
brightness gets set to its lowest value, regardless of the BIOS
parameters.

Even if adjusted through Toshiba HCI (hardware interface), the
brightness gets lowered every 16 seconds or so. It is likely that the
laptop has an internal counter (which I cannot locate unfortunately)
which sets the brightness and other parameters each time it wraps
around. It is also likely that Windows resets this counter
periodically to be able to control those parameters itself.

Waiting for progresses, I have adapted Linux tbacklightond (a utility
which resets the screen brightness just after it has been lowered by
the laptop) to FreeBSD. It has a very annoying flickering effect every
16 seconds, but at least you can still see your screen.

If someone is interested in this program or has a better solution,
please let me know.

  Sam
--=20
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@inf.enst.fr