Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 2009 19:41:44 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yahoo! moving to Linux???

--------------enigAC2B1BD1F1A02CED30A1D762

Konrad Heuer wrote:
>=20
> Sorry, maybe I missed something ..
>=20
> When entering http://www.yahoo.de I find my request redirected to=20
> http://m.de.yahoo.com for some days now.
>=20
> Netcraft says:
>=20
> http://m.de.yahoo.com was running YTS on Linux  when last queried at=20
> 19-Dec-2009 19:12:25 GMT - refresh now  Site Report
>=20
> Hard to stand, I'd expect FreeBSD get replaced by Windows because of=20
> MS/Yahoo! agreement, but Linux??
>=20
> Does anybody know about that?

Although Yahoo has been, and still is, a big FreeBSD user, their business=

has grown by absorbing many other web sites.  Those are hosted on all sor=
ts of
different platforms.  I don't think you can really state that "Yahoo is b=
ased
on operating system foo" any more (for any foo) -- nor can you tell neces=
sarily
from the OS of the web front-end what the back-end application servers ar=
running.

Whether Yahoo wants to spend a great deal of time and money homogenizing =
the OSes
their servers run on is an interesting question.  I doubt it somehow: the=
 benefits
of simplified administration almost certainly don't outweigh the costs or=
 justify
the risks of service disruption.

	Cheers,

	Matthew