Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:11:09 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade documentation (Was: Re: Make world error on -current elf)

At 05:11 AM 10/1/98 +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
>Mike Smith wrote:
>> > Incidently, I had to back out the /dev/sd0a <-> /dev/sd0s1a mount device
>> > changes for / in /etc/fstab.  I'm not sure how this works..  Will a 3.x
>> > system deal with an old-style 'sd0a' or 'wd0a' line in /etc/fstab?
>>
>> Not if it's wrong.  Entries in /etc/fstab must match the actual layout
>> of the disk.
>>
>> It sounds like you may not be getting the correct slice number in from
>> your bootstrap.
>
>The kernel didn't look at the slice number back in Jan 28.. :-)  In order
>to boot my Jan28 kernel, I had to back out the fstab sd0s1a change.

Simplicity to repartition and newfs the drive, which I did just recently with some old 2.1.x style drives that went through many an upgrade.

Is it not possible to 'disklabel -e -r <drive>' and change the 2nd line from disk: sd0 to disk: sd0s1 write the label and update fstab?  Didn't think of trying this myself at the time, as there was no data to lose.

I'd try it right now, but an install is running.

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net