Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 07:39:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      rct@gherkin.sa.wlk.com (Bob_Tracy)
To:        dmarkh@cfl.rr.com
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another 2930U problem

Mark Hounschell wrote:

> The one consistant thing about it is if I take
> the Exabyte 8500c tape drive and the Yamaha 8424 off the scsi bus the
> problem NEVER shows up.
>
> The problem is after the download of the sequencer code it gives the
> following message and just keeps repeating it never continueing on.
> The first example here is the most common thing that happens.
>
> (scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7860 Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 0/10/0
> (scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 3/255 SCBs
> (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 422 instructions downloaded
> scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4
>        <Adaptec AIC-7860 Ultra SCSI host adapter>
> scsi : 1 host.
> scsi0:0:0:0 Syncronous at 10 mb/sec
> scsi: aborting command due to timeout pid:0, scsi 0, channel 0, id 0,
> lun 0, test unit ready 00 00 00 00.
> sscsi0:0:0:0 Syncronous at 10 mb/sec
> scsi: aborting command due to timeout pid:0, scsi 0, channel 0, id 0,
> lun 0, test unit ready 00 00 00 00.
>	(...)
>
> This looks and smells
> similar to Bob Tracy's problem and definatly like a driver problem to me
> but maybe someone out there has a similar config (Exabyte tape/ Yamaha
> CDRW) that has all this working. I sure would like to know...

This *does* look and smell a lot like what I have been seeing.  The
above scenario is the *best* result I've been able to get with Linux
(modulo an "offset 8" on the "Synchronous at 10 mb/sec" line).  The
controller seems to know that *something* is attached, but that
"something" never gets identified as a disk, CD-R drive, whatever.
Win95 works fine, of course, which is the really irritating thing
about this problem...  That prompted people to suggest checking the
PnP OS BIOS setting (s/b "no"), and there was also a suggestion to
force clearing the PCI configuration data (another BIOS setting).
They caught me on the PnP OS setting :-), but fixing that got me to
the point you are seeing on the machine above.

The fact that you can get things working by removing devices from
the SCSI bus is consistent with one of the troubleshooting
procedures I was asked to try.  In my case, it did no good...
(What were we trying to identify?  Bad cabling?  A peripheral in
need of a firmware upgrade?  A pattern of *some* kind?)

Might sound stupid, but would it be possible in your case to move
the card to a different slot on your motherboard?  I don't have that
luxury because of brain-dead component layout on my motherboard: the
CPU+heatsink+fan combo is directly in front of three of four PCI
slots, and the 2930U2 is too long to fit in any slot except the
unblocked one (fourth slot, shared with the first of three ISA slots).

My "solution" is to try a Tyan S1590S motherboard, which UPS should be
delivering in a few days.  The Tyan is a beast of a board with *no*
built-in disk controllers: AT form factor (case can't take an ATX
board, and I *really* don't want to replace the case), 4 PCI slots,
4 ISA slots, and an AGP slot, none of which are interfered with by
other board components.  Maximum F.S.B. speed is 100 MHz, but for
Socket 7 that's fine (I don't overclock).  If this doesn't work, I
give up :-(.  To think, this all started when I traded a 4.3 GB SCSI-2
drive and some cash for a WDE 18300 LVD (Ultra-2) drive.  I'm still
wondering who got the best of that deal :-).

--
Bob Tracy
rct@wlk.com