Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 13:12:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        paul@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: scsi problems

Paul Richards writes:

> Quick config question first:
>
> How do I get rid of this, can't find any info on the correct
> syntax for the config file.
>
> Warning: sd0 is configured at scbus0 which is not fixed at a single adapter.

This should be in "man 4 scsi" but isn't.  The LINT kernel has some
examples.  It is:

> controller	scbus0 at aha0

where "aha?" is which board you want it wired at.

> Now the real problem:
>
> I can't use any tape devices (a HP DAT mainly), if I try to write to
> it I get (I don't think it's specific to writes though)
>
> sd0(aha0:0:0): timed out
> adapter not taking commands.. frozen?!
> Debugger("aha1542")

Do you have any problems with tape transfers before this happens?
This is what happens when the bus jams - the adaptec driver
tries to abort the transaction (apparently the disk transaction in
this case), and when it times out again it finds that the mailbox still
has the ABORT command in it.  At that point it assumes all is lost,
and panics.

Is the tape the only external device or anything else unusual?

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936