Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 18:41:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystr.RWSystems.net>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how many virtual www server on a 2.2.6 PPro machine ?

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> What do you think, if I want to put as many virtual webservers
> as possible onto one FreeBSD (2.2.6) Machine (PPro 200, 128 MB)
> ... how many would that be ?
Last I heard, if you multinet (overlay 'C' subnets on the same interface,
you should be able to put hundreds if you increase all the IPC stuff
(file descs, mbufs, etc...). The ipalias stuff adds some decision making
overhead onto the IP stack which slows packet throughput for everything.

You may be better-off using "non-IP Virtual Hosts" in Apache (see
host.html in the HTdocs/manual directory). They use one IP address which
is easy on the stack and your address space. Apache has to make VHost
routing decisions anyway. It works on every reader I've tested with, but
something old out there may just go to the default server.

Hope this helps - James (jwyatt@rwsystems.net)