Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:55:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG (Robert Watson)
Cc:        freebsd@planet.nl (Marc Veldman), Jacob.Ludington@ed.state.ia.us (Ludington Jacob), freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG ('freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'), advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine

> I want something on paper.  While e-mail and the web are cool, they are
> far from persistent.  I can't read a file written ten years ago in the
> standard word processing tool of the day.  Any articles I read and enjoyed
> on any commercial or main-stream electronic services are now long gone.  I
> have now assurance that www.daemonnews.org is going to work in ten years
> time when I want to reference a technical article there in a paper I
> write.  And printers don't cut it -- I have enough leaf-litter of unsorted
> and un-indexed papers lying around already.
>
> I'd happily pay the going rate for magazines to get a nicely bound
> twice to three times as thick Daemon News.  At one point, Jordan was
> spitting out FreeBSD newsletters on paper -- throw that stuff in also,
> maybe reviews of recent major commits on various platform source trees
> (sort of like the new stuff page on the NetBSD web site) so people (users,
> developers) from various projects can keep up-to-date.

The problem with a print version is the same problem with
most e-commerce.

People want the electronic version, and there's no way to bill
for an electronic version easily; it takes a major amount of
effort to set up a billing system.

Then there is the risk of non-publication, and the need to
refund.  I think that per-issue billing is out of the
question entirely; last time I checked, doing that type of
thing via credit card (that's the only realistic way to do
it) is too expensive, both in terms of transaction fees
for the publisher, and initial setup for the publisher.

An electronic newsletter that could be subscribed to in a
printed form  at a potentially large margin vs. cost would
probably be best.  This would let the "early adopters"
take the hard copy, and pay the overhead for doing the
initial low volume, with the costs coming down as the
volumes went up.  It certainly worked for Motorola with
cell phones, and it's how Linux Journal started.

So, as a tentaive shot:

1)	A monthly print copy of Daemon News
2)	Subscription rate based on print costs and
	non-bulk publication costs
3)	A clause that non-publication does not
	result in a refund, so long as 3 or more
	issues have been published in a 12 month
	period

Frankly, we collected user group fees at our Amiga user
group back in the mid 80's, and we published a monthly
news letter just from this small fund.  We eventually
had several local advertisers (people who sold Amigas
or Amiga software, printers, disks, and the like) ,
and were able to repurpose the funds.  This was with
a user group of 45 or so people.

As an alternate approach to the 3 steps above, you
could do the same thing with a sufficiently large
BSD user group:

1)	Have optional membership fees
2)	Strongly encourage fee payment (BayLISA
	does this now: fee payment is mildly
	mandatory after attending 2 meetings,
	and you can't sit on the board or hold
	an elected office unless you are paid
	up, but you can pay up after being
	elected and not declining to serve)
3)	Fund a newsletter "just for the group"
4)	Offer subscriptions to the local user
	group news letter, via the web, for a
	membership share + postage premium (e.g.
	if yearly dues were $24.00, then the
	news letter could be offered for $2.00
	+ postage per issue -- probably a lot
	less, if the entirety of the fees did
	not end up going to publication)
5)	Branch out to a larger publication, as
	funding and readership goes up

There's litterally dozens of viable variations on either
of these approaches.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---