Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2014 00:10:31 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can DUMMYNET handle weighting of traffic according to firewall rules?

Everyone:

I have an interesting problem that I'm trying to solve with
FreeBSD's IPFW and DUMMYNET facilities. I have an application in
which, due to arbitration overhead, a half duplex data link has
significantly higher costs -- typically about twice as much -- in
one direction than in the other. I'd therefore like to set up a
DUMMYNET pipe in FreeBSD that limits bandwidth usage so that

2*(bandwidth in one direction) + (bandwidth in the other direction
<= total bandwidth limit

It's easy to set IPFW up to sort the packets by direction, but it
does not seem possible to inject them into the same pipe in such a
way that some packets will count more toward the pipe's bandwidth
limit than others. Any ideas on how I can implement this? Willing
to code if I must, but don't want to reinvent the wheel.

--Brett Glass