Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:07:14 +0300
From:      "dvv" <dvv@online.bg>
To:        rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reinstalling And /usr

Rishi Chopra writes:

> What is the effect on the /usr partition when
> reinstalling over an installation?
>
> I suffered a kernel panic that wiped my MBR; I'd like
> to simply reinstall with the same partition/slice
> values - will my /usr partition and the data therein
> still be accessible after reinstallation?
>
> =====
> Rishi Chopra
> http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rchopra

Hi Rishi!
The effect is that the installer will detect and offer you to
use your current partitioning scheme and install the sets which you choose
over the current ones, overlapping some files.
It's wiser to boot in single mode with rescue CD and reinstall the MBR, if
you wish to preserve data. Otherwise, boot  with rescue, backup and
reinstall from scratch.
Take care!
Dimitar