Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 20:03:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org (John Dyson)
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getblk hangs

It seems that John Dyson said:
> There have been problems in the clustering code and a minor spl problem
> in the vfs_bio code.  Also, any use of the ext2fs would almost certainly be
> fatal (eventually) until this last weekends modification.  If you have
> had these hangs (neither DG nor I have had any problems, but he and
> I only use UFS, NFS (dg only) , and CD9660 occasionally), please try the code
> again.  If you find any getblk hangs -- let me know, and I'll supply a patch
> that can derive more information from the situation.

The problem is, I don't know if it is still the  getblk hang or not. I have
no  output  whatsoever.   The machine  is    frozen  by any    disk-related
activity. Last time  I got one  (Nov 19th sources),  the X screen saver was
still working (like someone  else) and then   when I tried to do  something
involving the disk,  freeze. I was  able to switch   from X11 to a  virtual
console then  total freeze.  DDB  doesn't  seem to  help (i.e.  no debugger
call).

I want to help you but it is difficult :-(

My Nov,  6th kernel is fine  (see below). Sources from  a few hours before,
probably between end of Nov, 5th and beginning of Nov 6th (Pacific time).
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #7: Mon Nov  6 21:08:06 MET 1995