Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 14:44:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make world

>perl	:	I want to maintain my version at 5.003, not 4.036
>groff	:	I want groff install to stop overwriting the
>		/usr/share/groff_font/devlp/download file, so all
>		those neat fonts I bought from WC stay installed.
>tcl	:	I want my version at 8.0a3, not the _old_ 7.5

I sorta like to be able to track the bleeding edge myself, and I seem to
have a stockpile of stuff that wants perl5 that I have to be real careful
with.  I'd like this option as well.

The grudging question is how many things break when you do this (at least
with Perl and tcl)?  Making it a makefile option is kinda nice in that the
only people who'll do it are (maybe) proficient enough to deal with the
breakages.  (I say "maybe" since I'm not yet sure I could. :-)

Happy trails,

Brian