Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:22:37 +0200
From:      Fabian Wenk <fabian@wenks.ch>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TYAN Tempest I5000VS (S5372)

Hello Lars

Lars Mainka wrote:
> I'm playing around with the new TYAN Tempest I5000VS, two Intel Xeon 3.00 GHz Dual Core processors
> and FreeBSD6.1/amd64 Release - p7.
>
> When ACPI is enabled in BIOS, the system will not boot. With disabled ACPI, there will be only one
> cpu and an interrupt storm detected on IRQ11 (without any hint on which device), but the system
> boots completly.

I do not know exactly about your model of system board, but I have
FreeBSD/i386 6.0 and 6.1 running on a Tyan S5360, but only with a
single CPU.

When I did the first install of FreeBSD/amd64 6.0-RELEASE and then
later FreeBSD/i386 6.0-RELEASE on this board, I had to do this in
"safe mode", else it did not even boot completely. Afterwards I
set the following two options in /boot/loader.conf to normaly boot:

   hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
   hint.apic.0.disabled="1"

After upgrading to FreeBSD/i386 6.1-RELEASE I could remove them
and it is running fine. Did not try with FreeBSD/amd64 again, as
the tool for the used ICP-Vortex RAID controller are only
available for i386.

About the interrupt storm, I guess it could be a problem with the
on board parallel port or maybe the usb. I did try a few things
and in the end I change or set the following setting in the BIOS:

     Installed O/S:              [Other]
     Reset Configuration Data:   [Yes]
     Large Disk Access Mode:     [Other]
     > Advanced Chipset Control
        Integrated USB 1.1:  [Disabled]
     > I/O Device Configuration
        Parallel port:           [Enabled]
     Legacy USB Support:         [Disabled]

And I also did change the following in my kernel config, beside
disabling all the H/W and other options I don't have or need anyway:

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
#device         apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device          pmtimer

# Parallel port
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
#device         plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
#device         ppi             # Parallel port interface device
#device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da

and also disabled all the USB stuff towards the end of the config
file.

Afterwards the problematic unknown IRQ11 was gone in the 'systat
-vm 1' output.

For using the second CPU on your board, I guess you need to build
a kernel with SMP support. Informations are in
/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/SMP.

Hope this helps.

bye
Fabian