Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2024 00:46:36 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why I dislike MPASS...

Hi,

needless to say, this needed a 2nd kernel, a reproducer (when no gdb and
no crash dump was avail).

XXX-BZ KABOOM 45000 > 0 && 45000 <= 360 && 45000 < 1536
panic: Assertion (key.to) > 0 && (key.to) <= w_max_used_index && (key.to) < witness_count failed at /usr/src/sys/kern/subr_witness.c:3118

This is why I dislike MPASS; if it hits you are often no wiser as to
why, especially if people added more than a single condition.

Why do we make our life harder ourselves by not having informative
messages (I mean that is what the comment above MPASS claims)?

I still have no idea how I get to that assertion but at least key.to
looks dodgy enough so that I can go look where-as before I really didn't
know if I had hit a limit or which one...

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7